Making Tutu Skirt or Dress is easier and inexpensive, everyone can do it only if you are willing to spend few hours on it.
After learning the basic techniques (that I am going to show), you can customize the color, the style or add any decorations on it, specially design for the child's fairy dress up party, Halloween costume, Christmas party, Birthday party.....
Basically, you only need two major materials, they are tulle ribbon and 1/2" wide elastic.
1) Measure the waist of the kid, and cut the wide elastic to the length that minus 1" to 2" for the waistband of the tutu dress.
2) Overlap the two ends of elastic by around 1/3" and sew it with needle and thread.
3) Cut the length of tulle ribbon, but what should be the length? The distance from the waistband to the length that you would like to have, then multiply by 2 and add 1" on it.
4) If your tulle ribbon is the whole piece, you should cut it 3" wide. But the tulle ribbon that I bought is in a roll, the width is suitable for making the tutu dress.
5) Everything is ready, let's start!
6) Place the elastic around the back of chair or something that similar to it.
7) Fold one strip of tulle ribbon in half (that is the reason of mutiply by 2 in length, step 3).
8) Tie a knot around the waistband (that is the reason of add 1" in length, step 3).
9) Repeat (7) and (8), and put the second knot next to the first knot.
10) Squeeze the knots tightly after making four to five knots. (my practise, seems much faster)
11) As reference:
Tulle ribbon strip length: 15" (I cut the length of 31")
Tulle ribbon strip used: 90 pieces
Here are some tips in How to take care of Tutu Skirt / Dress
Recently, I use leftover tulle and ribbon to make a princess cape for my daughter, it is really a simple handmade craft, sure everyone can make it too! Here it is How to make a princess cape and tiara